Mexican Soup

23 July 2013



Here is one of the few recipes I will share on the blog, I wish I could share recipes however my cooking is pretty remedial but there are those times I come across a recipe that I want to try . I stumbled upon this recipe on Pinterest {here} and I finally decided to try it lets just say I have been making it every week since. The first time I made this it was delicious however not filling enough so the next day I added shredded chicken  to the left overs and it transformed it into the perfect dish- with approval from the Husband.  

Mexican Vegetable Soup

Serves four to six.

Ingredients

1 tablespoon light olive oil
1 medium red onion, finely diced 
2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 carrots, cut into 1/4-inch-rounds
8 ounces green beans, tipped and cut into 1 inch pieces
2 medium tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and chopped
6 cups of chicken stock
1/4 cup cooked hominy
3 skinless chicken breast
2 teaspoons chilpotle chilies, minced
1 avocado, peeled and sliced
cilantro leaves, for garnish
6 wedges lime
Corn tortillas

Directions
- Warm the oil in a soup pot, add onion, garlic, oregano, and salt, and cook over medium-low heat until the onion softens.

- In a separate pot boil chicken breast for 20 min. then shred

- Add the carrots, beans, and tomatoes; pour in the heated stock and simmer.

- After 20 minutes add the hominy , shredded chicken  and then gradually stir in the   
chilpotle chilies to taste.

- Cook another 10 minutes; then taste for salt.

- Ladle the soup into bowls; garnish with the avocado and cilantro leaves. Serve the lime and corn tortilla on the side.

{recipe taken from Sacramento Street }

¡buen provecho!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by! Hope to see you again real soon.